Sunday, October 5, 2008

STUN -nuff said

.........................Howdy Blog readers. Tonight I want to talk about the spell STUN, which is probably one of the best spells in the game..........all though... some of you may disagree with that. ........................Now I have been playing this game for about 6 years and the 1st thing I can remember about STUN was in a party as DRK about level 55 yo 60'ish in the Buburimu peninsula. It was there that one of the party members asked me to STUN a Goblin's AOE move "Bomb Toss". At first it was pretty tricky for me and I was pretty erratic at it but that person explained to me that I needed to read the chat log to see the Goblin's move and then use STUN. The problem was by the time I saw that the move in the chat log it had already gone off. This was solved by noticing a little animation that all mobs make when they do their special AOE move that can be used to help you know when to STUN. The only problem with that is you may STUN the wrong monster's move as an example "Goblin Rush" and then it may use "Bomb Toss" while your STUN recast is down. However regardless of of this shortcoming I soon got Drk to level 70 and moved up to my 1st endgame area SKY ! It was around this time I was hearing cocky RDM's who would only TP-burn with NIN's, WAR's, and a BRD in Uleguerand Range and tell me that DRK's where only good for STUN and sucked at HNM's. Basically they told me DRK virtually had no spot in endgame and that most LinkShells like Ressurection had leaders like Hex who hated DRK's and didn't want them in the LinkShells at all. My guess at that time was since Hex was a main THF he hated DRK's cause back then around level 60 most THF's lost experience parties to DRK's and SAM's who subbed /Thf. That was back in the day we did SkillChain's and BLM's Magic Bursted in parties. Funny how the game evelved and how most people want TP-spam partied to XP in now. .........................Anyway in SKY I joined my 1st endgame LinkShell called "Critical". While I was in that group......... 2 things expanded into my knowledge about the usage of the spell STUN. First was I had to STUN a Doll Mob's AOE move called "MeltDown". It was such a devastating move able to kill alot of people in a alliance at the time. I learned from the Critical's LinkShell leader Kohen that once again the Mob did the same animation that the Goblin did but it also added a additional special animation that makes it easier to know when to STUN. The Doll simply rolled up into a ball and BAM you STUN'd it. Another thing to note at this time only Shield Bash, Weapon Bash, and the spell STUN was pretty unresisted on STUN'ing the move "Meltdown". However some of the other things like Blade Bash, Head Butt, and other STUN moves/weapon skills/abilities had ACC/resist issues. What I mean to say is if a BLU used Head Butt and it was resisted....... Then "MeltDown" would go off even if you tried to STUN it. In the same way that if you Sleep a mob and then try to Sleep it again while it is still asleep you will get a message saying that it didn't take effect. To my knowledge this is the only in game Mob move that has a bad effect when getting resisted on a STUN spell and SE fixed this issue by upping the ACC/resist on these moves. The second thing expanded onto my usage of the spell STUN was being included into a STUN order. Once again I ran into a problem untill the leader Kohen helped me fiqure out my chat filters making it easier to see the move or -AGA spells I needed to STUN in my chat log. .......I also learned to make a macro to let everyone know I were using STUN and that sends a message to the next person to watch out and go next. ...............................From there I got better and better to the point I don't use any chat filters and started to impress many of my friends with the way I wield'd the spell. Matter of fact around then I changed my macro to the following and still have it that way to this day: Jess: <~~~~~~ M-E-G-A S-T-U-N ~.O .................................After a few years in Critical..... the LinkSHell no longer existed and I joined the LinkShell Versus. It was there that I began to master the usage of the spell. Whether it's STUN'ing every "Whirl of rage" in Limbus (and not STUN'ing "Smite of Rage" by mistake), or STUN'ing a Salvage's "Restoral" or Triple Gears AOE "Rail cannon" ........ you start to see that there is a few smaller things that can assist you. ...... that's where I am gonna stop this little tale of STUN. Yes I am gonna leave you all hang'n ............ but I won't be too cruel .... I will point you in the right direction so that you know just where to look. ....... try to understand the following ryhme: "Hickory Dickory Dock" "I tried to Stun but WTF" "I casted my STUN" "The Doll used Meltdown" "And everyone Felldown" "Hickory Dickory Dock" ...........................LOL .....ok that sucked and I was just kidding ......... The real key is alot of monsters (but not all) have a sort of rythem in their animation and timing of their moves. There are quite a few mob moves and spells that you can not beat speed wise by STUN'ing when they start to use them. You can't get it exactly but you can make a educated guess just before a mob uses a move. Another trick is some mobs will only have a possibility to use their move once they get to the end of a movement in there animation cycle. If you don't believe me watch the Gears in Salvage. I am not gonna say but if you look close enough you will see what I am talking about. ..... and that is where I am gonna leave off on this. ................................Also today I STUN'd 4 "Discord's" on 1 Salvage run on the mega-boss BCC. M-E-G-A S-T-U-N do you have it?

No comments:

Photobucket
Photobucket

php hit counter